Rules & Register
The 36th Annual International 3-Day Novel Contest takes place over the 2013 Labour Day Long Weekend, August 31-September 2, 2013.
1. Registration: The deadline for registration is August 30, 2013, 11:59 p.m. PST. Entry fee is $50.
2. Preparation: You are allowed, though not required, to develop ideas and an outline prior to the contest. You do not have to submit your outline, and you can change and adapt your novel as you see fit. Keep your outline brief—the shorter it is, the more rewarding the creative experience.
3. Location: Novels may be written using any method, and in any location, anywhere in the world. Yes, the honour system still exists! (You’d only be cheating yourself out of the experience! Seriously. We can tell if you didn’t commit to the contest.)
4. Writing: The actual writing must begin no earlier than 12:01 a.m. (your time zone), on the Saturday of the Labour Day weekend, and must stop by 11:59 p.m. (your time zone) on the following Monday. Novels may not be edited outside the contest time frame.
5. Form: The contest exists to help you write the novel you want, so you may write in any genre, on any subject you wish. There are no limits to the novel’s length, but entries average 100 typed pages, double-spaced. Thereabouts. Length is a factor in judging, but it is only one of many.
6. Submitting: You are not required to submit your manuscript for judging, but we suggest you do. It completes the experience—and it’s the only way to get your certificate. Print up and mail your completed novel to us as soon as possible after the weekend is over. If you handwrote your novel, you have a few days to type it up…otherwise just send it in right away. Novels must be postmarked on or before Friday, Sept. 13, 2013 to qualify.
Online submissions are accepted. The link to submit will be posted on this page once the contest officially begins; the submission manager will not be active until then.
7. Witness statement: Include a statement, signed by a witness, confirming the novel’s completion over the Labour Day long weekend with your novel. There are no rules or templates for this statement, just make sure it affirms that you followed the rules.
8. Other rules: Manuscripts will NOT be returned so keep a copy. If you plan to revise it, please save a copy of the work in its original form. Entrants retain all copyright for their work, however, publishing an entry in any form (including self-publishing, chapbooks or web publishing) before the winner is announced will disqualify the author from winning. After the announcement, we will present the winning author with a publishing contract. All other entrants may develop, publish, dissect or ignore their novels as they wish. Each entrant holds the copyright to his or her own novel.
Send typed, double-spaced novels, printed on standard white paper with pages numbered (no folders, clips or staples please), to the following address before Friday, Sept. 13, 2013. (Long-time entrants: please note our new mailing address!)
3-Day Novel Contest
210-111 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC, V6B 1H4
Send novels using regular mail—the date you send it is what counts, not the date it arrives, so you don’t need to spend extra money on couriers or special packaging. SASEs and IRCs are no longer necessary.
Our team of judges spend the fall and winter reading and rereading your entries. Winners will be announced the following January.
Study up on the winners!
3-Day Books are available here! Ask for these excellent fast reads at your local bookstore or library, order them direct through Paypal, or get them at special entrant prices on your registration form.
- Read the rules, scan the FAQ and read this note on the right reasons to enter before registering.
- Fees are non-refundable, even if you do not finish the contest or submit your novel.
- Registration must be submitted online on or before Thursday, August 30, 2013. Fees are due in CAD for Canadian residents, USD for everyone else.
- Read the rules page for information on submitting your novel after the contest.
Registration is now closed.
Questions or comments? Want to register your writing class or club as a group? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.